In 1644, Royalist troops severed the Earl of Essex' access to supplies landed at Par, and Essex found himself encircled. He escaped, as did some of his troops, but the Royalists captured powder, cannon, and arms. The retreating rebels paused to blow up Lostwithiel church.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~staustell/Structure/History.htm
The village of Par is located across the river - and is in Tywardreath parish. Previously, the area denoted as the "Parish of Par" was called Par Sands. At one time, the land which constitutes much of Par did not exist; it was created by the silt, soil, and mining tailings washed down the river over the centuries. In the early 1700's the bridge at St. Blazey actually led to a quay, where sea-going ships arrived, and a bustling commerce existed.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~staustell/Structure/History.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment